So, Talon just had his 4th month visit. I knew Talon was little, just not that little. He is in the 3rd percentile for his weight!! He was born at 7 lbs 11 oz and Friday he weighed in at 11 lbs 1 oz. Talon hasn't even gained 4 pounds since birth!! This is the part when I lower my head and feel like a bad Mom. I guess he hasn't been getting a whole lot of milk from me. The doctor wasn't concerned at all... he says that it is normal for infants to take a dive at one point. He says Talon's hair was shiny so he knows he is getting nutrients. He says not to worry and we'll check and see how he is doing at his 6 month visit. So, I need to not feel so bad. Yeah right!! Nursing sometimes feels like it plays mind games with you! I am so jealous of those that nurse with out a single worry. I was so proud of myself. I am doing sooo much better this time around. I had the hardest time with nursing Jayden. With Talon, it seemed to be a lot easier. I think I just knew what to expect this time around. Talon's Dr. says that I might be losing my milk because of going back to work and working out. I would have paid him good money to say that when I was nursing Jayden. It makes me sad now that I know what it is like not only doing formula but knowing the benefits of breast feeding. If anyone knows of any good supplements PLEASE let me know. I think I tried a supplement with Fenugreek before, I will try taking it again if I need to. It is probably THE most nasty tasting supplement known to man!! I will be sad if I can no longer nurse. I'm sure Rusty will too, that means he has to help with feedings. :) Sorry, I just needed to vent a little bit. Husbands don't really empathize with you when you talk about nursing.
Monday, February 9, 2009
My little man
Posted by Challise and Rusty at 3:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
If it makes you feel any better I didnt breast feed either of my kids and they are normal and smart! Kudos to your for keeping on it.
Nursing can be hard and such an emotional roller coaster ride too. I think that if you can get through the first few months, it gets much easier and your milk supply gets more established so that things don't affect it as much. I was always told to make sure I was drinking plenty of water, more than plenty. Its so hard to decide whether to keep it up or start using formula when you're having a hard time. But if the doc isn't worried about it and you're still feeling good about it, i'd just play it by ear and see how it goes! He's such a cutie by the way! Sorry for the long comment, I had a hard time with nursing but ended up being able to nurse both my kids for a long time. Every situation is different though, good luck and don't beat yourself up over it! :)
Girl, just hang in there!!!There is always something when having kids...Everyone is different. Talon looks healthy and the little guy will get up to his weight soon. My little man was such a chunk, so it will just take time. Lets get together here soon.
Any nursing you can do I am very impressed with. I wasn't able to nurse either of my boys and I wish I could have. I'm really impressed with your effort.
My mom always told me if you lick your childs forhead and it tastes salty, they are healthy...It's an old wives tale she learned from her mother who was told be her mother and so on.
Anyhoo, Talon looks so handsome.
Kim
I totally understand. Marcus is my first kid who has acutally taken to nursing but now he is wanting more than I am producing so I am giving him a little formula to supplement but he has a hard time with formula it is rough. Hang in there like Shannan said he looks great..
So we still need to get together.. we keep saying it but we really do soon.
Hi Challise,
I found out this weekend Dani has a blog and then I found yours and your mom's. It's been fun reading about everyone. Talon is adorable!!
My sister recently had a baby and was having trouble with milk supply. This is her 5th baby to nurse and this one was born with Down's. She has tried extra hard to be able to nurse him because of all the problems he has. I e-mailed her to find out what she's doing to keep her milk, which has been a huge struggle. Here's what she said:
I have been taking 9 to 10 fenugreek capsules per day. Also, you can buy a "nursing blend" capsule at the health store too. Have her ask about it. I take that too. And then just nurse and nurse and nurse. Your body has to realize that the milk is needed. She needs to try to nurse to empty each time.
I hope that helps. I know you said you don't like fenugreek, but it works especially if you take a LOT. Take it in a capsule so you don't taste it.
Good luck. I loved nursing my two kids. It was such a bonding thing for me.
Love,
Shauna
PS Sorry so long.
Talon is so cute! He's fine like the dr said but nursing is so stressfull sometimes. I went through that same phase of not producing so much. When I started working and pumping, it was even worse. It took a little time, and I had to really concentrate and look at a picture of Tatton (i know it sounds creepy) but then I started producing a lot when I pumped,and I got more "regular" if you will. It all started flowing! So make sure to pump would be my tip, it helped me. And Kristin and Toni were my mentors...
Hey I just heard about little Talon from Keebs. I hope he continues to get better. Let me know if there is anything we can do, and we'd love to take Jayden if you need to!
Post a Comment