So, Talon had a dentis appointment on Tuesday. I swear by all accounts that it was not scheduled until the 8th. I put it in my phone right after I got off the phone. Last weekend I got the call confirming the appointment for Talon on that following Tuesday. Why do I care you ask? Well, it was decided that Rusty was going to attend this appointment. Mainly because Talon is in a HUGE Dad phase right now. He thinks Dad can fix EVERYTHING! AND because they needed to sedate him for the appointment. I know I would probably fall apart if I had to go. So we knew it would be better for Rusty to go. Since THEY had me down for the wrong day that I couldn't reschedule, I had to go. {ugh}
The plan is to hold your little one in the waiting room. They come out and give him a shot, he then falls asleep in like 60 seconds in your arms. They come out and get your sleeping child and take him back. This is when they put the IV in and do the necessary work on their mouth. Shouldn't be that bad right? So there was one couple there that has already send their child back and were just waiting and one couple that showed up after me. So, they come out and give Talon the shot. He just simply said "owie" and then he was fine. He was just excited about the spiderman bandaid. She said to hold on to him, it should happen fairly quickly. Well... she came out a minute later and Talon is still bright eyed and bushy tailed. She was a little confused by this and just said, I will give him another minute. Came out a minute later and Talon just looked at her and smiled. I guess Talon is not a light weight by any means. The stuff did not phase him. So now I am a little worried because the last thing I want is for them to give him more and my kid not wake up. (Yes, I am a worry freak!) So, she then says "I guess you will need to come back with me" so I follow her back in the room where we then put laughing gas on him. He of course doesn't like that. The shot doesn't even make this kid relax. So I have one arm and the holding the gas on his nose.. the nurse on the other side is holding the other arm and helping with the left foot. This is where they will be putting the IV!! In his foot!! I couldn't look. Poor kid. Then the dentist came in and held down his tummy and the right foot. I tried to keep his attention.. but the poor guy kept saying "hold me Mommy!" "owie" "hold me". Finally after they got the IV in it took all of 10 second for him to fall asleep. I smiled at the group that helped pin my two year old down and walked out. As soon as I opened the door to the waiting area, tears just started coming. I felt so bad how this all had to happen. It was suppose to be such a simple thing. As I sat there, it was time to put out the little girl next to me. They gave her the shot and sure enough, 60 minutes later, she was out cold. Oh how I wish it was that simple for me.
I thought it was gonna be a long day because the first couple has been back with their little guy forever waiting for little guy to wake up. You can't take your child home until they can lift up their own heads and start to act like they are "with it" and drinking some liquids. By the time that first couple left they came and told me I could go see Talon. As soon as I turned the corner that kid sat up and reached out for me and let me hold him. I asked to see his teeth and he just lifted his head straight up, opened his mouth wide and said "fixed!" The nurses were just so surprised he was able to do that. They gave him a juice box and I think with in 1 minuted he had that thing chugged. It was hilarious. They all think my kid is a freak of nature.
Boy am I glad it is over. I just get so nervous when it comes to stuff like this. Being a Mom has turned me into such a whimp!! Boy what a lovely experience.... {sigh}
Thursday, February 3, 2011
What an experience!!
Posted by Challise and Rusty at 8:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I can so relate to this. Kaleb knocked out his front tooth when he was 3 and they had to dig the root out. We had to hold him down, he hated the laughing gas. He was hot and sweaty from screaming and crying and so was the dentist. It was such a nightmare. It's hard to see your kids hurt, and you can't do anything about it. Glad he finally fell asleep. You are not a wimp!
What was it that they had to do?! That sounds crazy awful!
I'm sorry you had such a traumatic experience! I know exactly how you feel though and you are NOT a wimp....just a Mom, and a great one at that! Watching your child get an iv can be awful because they don't understand why everyone is holding them down, etc. Glad he came out of it well though!
Post a Comment